In national news, the big story this week is that Prime Minister, Theresa May, has suggested that soldiers acting abroad could be exempt from the Human Rights Act 1998. Here at RightsInfo, we celebrate World Mental Health Day with five key cases where human rights have helped people with mental health problems. We also report two recent decisions from the European Court of Human Rights on the right to a fair trial.
Human Rights In The News And On RightsInfo
- British troops exempted from the Human Rights Act? [UK Human Rights Blog] [Independent] [Guardian]
- Fair trial for convicted paedophile [RightsInfo]
- Civil standard of proof needed for civil cases: Omagh bombing trial was fair [RightsInfo]
- Marking World Mental Health Day, five times human rights have helped [RightsInfo]
- We celebrate the 80th anniversary of the Battle of Cable Street. See this testimony from Ubby Cowan, grandfather of RightsInfo’s Creative Director, Yoav Segal [Facebook]
Human Rights Quotes Of The Week
For more details, see here.